Welcome to the Treeherd's blog about Bonsai, art and culture

I intend to present a different slant on aspects of bonsai and allied subjects. The sort of stuff that you might not get elsewhere, including unusual trees, problems that most bonsaists need to confront, experiments, and some disasters, that might turn into learning experiences. No pontifications here. No gloating, some myth busting. And, no lying or tall tales

Sunday, January 22, 2012

"The Treeherd" Why?

Since I posted an explanation of what "Naturalistic Bonsai" meant to me, so you could understand where I am coming from, I thought I should also explain my choice of alias: "The Treeherd". It has become pretty clear to me that we do not actually create a tree. The tree is already there, it has already been created, and what we do is tend it to bring out its best, according to our lights. We shelter it in Winter, shape (similar to shear if it were a sheep, but I hope that none of us actually shears a tree, and thinks that it is a good idea) in the Spring and Summer. We feed it water and the proper amount of sunshine regularly, and add vitamin-like nutrients to its feed when appropriate. We protect it from pests and diseases. We provide it with an environment (for its roots, a pot), for the tree as a whole, an attractive stand or bench. If this sounds like "Horticulture" only to you, then so be it. But to me there is an Art to being a Treeherd, just as there is an Art to raising a prize heifer that wins a Blue Ribbon. Besides, there was a Bonsai Wise Man who wrote (approximately), "Bonsai is 90% Horticulture and 10% Art. I am just adding the notion that Horticulture is an Art, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment